Paula`s Big Adventure

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

WE QUALIFIED!

I hardly ever support Australia when they play sport, any form of nationalism makes me uncomfortable, except when it comes to soccer.

Australia has qualifed for the World Cup for the first time since 1974, and only the second time in the history of the competition.

I watched Australia lose to Argentina in 1993, I cried when we should have beaten Iran in 1997, and well, Uruguay 4 years ago was a disaster. If anyone has ever read Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby, youll know how I feel right now.

The great thing is we qualified on our own merit, we beat a South American team and we deserve to go. Alot of debate surrounds providing a direct qualifying spot for Oceana, but I, for one, think its much better to qualify the hard way, and show the world we deserve to go, than be given a spot.

We might lose every game in the compeition, but who cares. WE ARE GOING TO GERMANY!

I watched the first leg in a small cafe in La Paz, I didnt get up at 5am to watch the game in Sydney, I knew my heart could not withstand a penalty shot out, which is what I suspected it would end up in. But I was there in spirit.

Well done boys!