Paula`s Big Adventure

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Over stones to you

I feel like I have to write something about GW McClennan, singer of the Go-Betweens who died on May 7. Everything about my life in Australia has a Go-Betweens songs entertwinned with it. The last two visits I have made to Sydney, I have been at their gigs at the Metro in Sydney with old friends who I knew I wouldnt see again for a long time. It was my farewell of sorts to my life in Oz and to the friends I love.

Robert was always my favourite performer, although it was GWs songs I liked best. GWs solo album means more to me than any other album I own. I listened to it alot when I lived in Adelaide, it got me through some pretty tough times. Whenever I played it I remembered the lost friends I had in Adelaide and the laughs we had. I have carried it around the world with me, when choosing music to come to Bolivia with, his album was my first choice. I cant listen to it now because I cant believe he is gone.

Its funny when heroes die, its like you have lost a close family member, even though you never knew them. I had two musicians who influenced my life, David McComb from the Triffids and GW. They are both dead now, both died of natural causes before they reached 50. Their music lives on of course and I guess thats what we have left.

I wrote about death in a previous blog and how in Bolivia there is no time to grieve, you just pick up your life and move on. Walk through the streets of your town and be glad that you have moments in your life which bring you happiness. Like listening to 16 Lovers Lane on a sunny afternoon, drinking paley in the beer garden of the Austral.