Paula`s Big Adventure

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The end of the age of perfection

Well its almost over, one more day (as I am reminded by my friends here) until I reach the end of my 33rd year - the age of perfection as my friend Lee always told me. Time to reflect on the year that was.

I cant complain really, about my last year. I have to say it may have been the best yet. I saw the downfall of yet another Bolivian government (Mesa in June), but the beginning of a new era in Bolivian history with the election of Evo(see previous blog). I had a great trip home to Australia and realised that, as we get older, relationships change for the better. I discovered that in times of crisis there are people in my life that I can rely on, both in Bolivia and the rest of the world. Who can forget that Australia qualified for the World Cup and lastly, I fulfilled a life long dream of going to Cuba.

Alot to pack into one year I would think. There are many downsides to traveling and living abroad. One is that you create a distance between your family and friends, the people who are most important. But on the upside, Ive been extremely fortunate to make friends from around the world and in Cochabamba, I have a community of wonderful people who have become part of my own family here in Bolivia.

So as I finish my year of perfection I feel very lucky and happy to be alive, and I know that the rest of my life can only get better.